Skip to main content

Dutch Market ready for mass scale virtualization?



According to this article, it is apparently happening. The market research was conducted during(?) the seminar "Enterprise Linux en Open Source Virtualisatie". Intel, Gartner, Novell and Akibia.

Voor het realiseren van virtualisatieoplossingen kijkt de helft naar zowel het open source-product Xen als het commerciƫle VMware, terwijl 17% alleen naar VMware kijkt. 8% neemt naast Xen en VMware ook Microsoft Virtual Server of Sun Solaris 10 in overweging. Een kwart van de organisaties weet daarentegen nog niet welke oplossingen ze in overweging gaan nemen.


50% are looking both at Xen and VMware, 17% only at VMware, 8% want to look at Xen, VMware, Microsoft or Solaris 10 and the rest (25%) is still unsure.

Unsure..hmm. According to me only 17% is sure and the rest 83% is unsure. Thats how I look at it. I'm sure Xen will be a very mature technology someday but if you are "looking" then it really doesn't count as joining the mass-virtualization party. And honestly I do know the *other* factors that play a crucial role. One big factor is "change", and Virtualization is indeed a change. It is , as rightly pointed by the consultant, not as simple as it looks but it is the path that organizations have to take today. But anyways thats besides the point (here at least).

Looking at several options is like window shopping. You are not ready to commit, yet. No enterprise or even a SMB shop (here is Holland or elsewhere) will look at several options when thinking of deploying a solution , even in their dev/test environment.

So what do you do to get a clear idea and start approaching the "decision-making" process?

  • Test (Backup, disaster recovery, provisioning capability, interoperability, conversion, deployment, etc etc)
  • benchmark
  • test again
  • decide
  • Virtualize


But again given the crowd was for "Enterprise Linux and Open Source", it is understandable that the results are a bit different as a different crowd was surveyed.

But anyways read the rest here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...