Skip to main content

Dutch Market ready for mass scale virtualization?



According to this article, it is apparently happening. The market research was conducted during(?) the seminar "Enterprise Linux en Open Source Virtualisatie". Intel, Gartner, Novell and Akibia.

Voor het realiseren van virtualisatieoplossingen kijkt de helft naar zowel het open source-product Xen als het commerciƫle VMware, terwijl 17% alleen naar VMware kijkt. 8% neemt naast Xen en VMware ook Microsoft Virtual Server of Sun Solaris 10 in overweging. Een kwart van de organisaties weet daarentegen nog niet welke oplossingen ze in overweging gaan nemen.


50% are looking both at Xen and VMware, 17% only at VMware, 8% want to look at Xen, VMware, Microsoft or Solaris 10 and the rest (25%) is still unsure.

Unsure..hmm. According to me only 17% is sure and the rest 83% is unsure. Thats how I look at it. I'm sure Xen will be a very mature technology someday but if you are "looking" then it really doesn't count as joining the mass-virtualization party. And honestly I do know the *other* factors that play a crucial role. One big factor is "change", and Virtualization is indeed a change. It is , as rightly pointed by the consultant, not as simple as it looks but it is the path that organizations have to take today. But anyways thats besides the point (here at least).

Looking at several options is like window shopping. You are not ready to commit, yet. No enterprise or even a SMB shop (here is Holland or elsewhere) will look at several options when thinking of deploying a solution , even in their dev/test environment.

So what do you do to get a clear idea and start approaching the "decision-making" process?

  • Test (Backup, disaster recovery, provisioning capability, interoperability, conversion, deployment, etc etc)
  • benchmark
  • test again
  • decide
  • Virtualize


But again given the crowd was for "Enterprise Linux and Open Source", it is understandable that the results are a bit different as a different crowd was surveyed.

But anyways read the rest here...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeepLearningTrucker Part 1

Avastu Blog is migrating to IdeationCloud.com; 1st Jan 2009 live

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. WITHIN 2 SECONDS YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO THE NEW HOME OF AVASTU BLOG. PLEASE DO UPDATE AVASTU BLOG'S URL to : http://www.ideationcloud.com on your website.

I will send out emails personally to those who are using my link(s) on their sites.

Thanks much for your co-operation and hope you enjoy the new site and its cool new features :-)




Not like the site is unlive or something..on the contrary, its beginning to get a lot of attention already. Well most of the work is done, you don't have to worry about anything though:

What won't change

Links/Referrals: I will be redirecting the links (all links which you may have cross-posted) to IdeationCloud.com - so you don't have to do anything in all your posts and links. Although, I would urge however that you do change the permalinks, especially on your blogs etc yourselfThis blog is not going away anywhere but within a few months, I will consider discontinuing its usage. I won't obviously do …

Cloud Security: Eliminate humans from the "Information Supply Chain on the Web"

My upcoming article, part - 3 data center predictions for 2009, has a slideshot talking about the transition from the current age to the cloud computing age to eventually the ideation age- the age where you will have clouds that will emote but they will have no internal employees.

Biggest management disasters occur because internal folks are making a mess of the playground.

Om's blog is carrying an article about Cloud security and it is rather direct but also makes a lot of sense:

I don’t believe that clouds themselves will cause the security breaches and data theft they anticipate; in many ways, clouds will result in better security. Here’s why: Fewer humans –Most computer breaches are the result of human error; only 20-40 percent stem from technical malfunctions. Cloud operators that want to be profitable take humans out of the loop whenever possible.Better tools – Clouds can afford high-end data protection and security monitoring tools, as well as the experts to run them. I trust…