Skip to main content

Marketing Virtualization by teaching (telling the truth)!



I'm in talks with some training centers in the Netherlands on giving some custom made trainings on Oracle 10g R2 RAC on ESX/GSX Servers. I was planning to do that but did not have time to do it.

Anyways I was compelled to take this move (and the training center CEO was more than pleased) as I saw (I knew it anyways as I heard from a dear friend at Microsoft)that MOC (Microsoft Official Curriculum) includes a full fledged introduction to Virtual PC.

Imagine!!! There are a lot of training centers. In Holland I've been to CompuTrain, Global Knowledge (to name a few) and these guys have a large network. Lots of staff all around the country to be trained. And its MCSE 2003 season. (I'm myself following a MCSE 2003 track this week, besides other plans to do Java, RHCE....ummm lets not go into that) It always amazes me to see that only a fraction of courses are Oracle, Java, Linux, etc. 90% of the stuff is all ASP.NET, VB.NET, SQL Server 2000, 2005...loads of it!

And all those people work on Virtual PCs. Remember no matter what you say, this is the slow and easy way to ease in!

But its time to reconsider some strategies and don't forget some golden rules I lay out here:



  • Market the product by letting others in
  • Find the entry points (Training centers, Seminars, Discussion Forums, on the street, in the alley, anywhere)
  • Its about the truth
  • Its about hearing it from a true professional (Think attention to detail, performance, tests, running tools to demonstrate and complement the truth by proving it)
  • Follow up
  • Ask for honest opinions
  • Leave the idea/product in the hall and exit! (You will get a call)

Lets talk about it quickly on my audio blog. or just click on the title to play it in your browser. You can also drop in comments as mp3s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Splunk that!

Saw this advert on Slashdot and went on to look for it and found the tour pretty neat to look at. Check out the demo too! So why would I need it? WHY NOT? I'd say. As an organization grows , new services, new data comes by, new logs start accumulating on the servers and it becomes increasingly difficult to look at all those logs, leave alone that you'd have time to read them and who cares about analysis as the time to look for those log files already makes your day, isn't it? Well a solution like this is a cool option to have your sysadmins/operators look at ONE PLACE and thus you don't have your administrators lurking around in your physical servers and *accidentally* messing up things there. Go ahead and give it a shot by downloading it and testing it. I'll give it a shot myself! Ok so I went ahead and installed it. Do this... [root@tarrydev Software]# ./splunk-Server-1.0.1-linux-installer.bin to install and this (if you screw up) [root@tarrydev Software]# /op

Virtualization is hot and sexy!

If this does not convince you to virtualize, believe me, nothing will :-) As you will hear these gorgeous women mention VMware, Akkori, Pano Logic, Microsoft and VKernel. They forgot to mention rackspace ;-) virtualization girl video I'm convinced, aren't you? Check out their site as well!