Skip to main content

UC Berkeley chooses Firewire's "Virtual Victim" approach


When UC Berkeley learned of the FireEye 4200 appliance and its virtual victim machine security approach, a solution to their wireless security concerns was in sight. The University deployed FireEye 4200’s alongside the central wireless controllers to offer accurate, agent-less network malware control protecting the internal EECS network against zero-day, targeted malware that sought to take remote control over university and student computing resources.

In particular, FireEye offered

- Targeted malware security
- A network-based security approach
- Reliable, automated quarantines
- Easy deployment, use, & management

FireEye specializes on preventing self-propagating malware from spreading throughout the internal network. The FireEye Attack Confirmation Technology (FACT) engine uses virtual victim machines to analyze real-time network traffic flows pinpointing targeted malware and remote control attacks–all without relying on signatures or IT forensic analysis. The FACT engine enables the FireEye 4200’s unparalleled ability to accurately identify malicious attacks, including targeted attacks that seek to compromise and take over remote control of computing assets.


Interesting approach, this FACT technology. Take a look at it here.



This blog is carrying the news

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...