Skip to main content

AMD pushes Virtualization vendors to broaden migration and interoperability


To loosen the live-migration constraints, Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD released a white paper disclosing details about AMD-V Extended Migration, a feature dating back to the first-generation Opteron processor that enables virtual machines to migrate between different versions of AMD processors.
The need for migration ease
"Our customers are very interested in doing live migration because of the flexibility it provides," said Margaret Lewis, director of commercial solutions at AMD. "[AMD-V Extended Migration] is where the rubber meets the road. We've made this interface on the hardware end, but it is up to software to implement it."

AMD-V Extended Migration masks the differences between CPU generations, facilitating the safe live migration of virtual machines between servers running different generations of AMD processors. This includes existing single- and dual-core processors and all future AMD processor revisions, including the upcoming Barcelona quad-core AMD Opteron processor that is expected to be released Sept. 10.
This is really a good thing, we are moving (rather) fast to a phase where the hardware vendors like Intel and AMD will be standing long before at the finish line with array of solutions for virtualization vendors. Some like VMware, with an obvious lead are already working hard to stay and keep up the pace with the hardware vendors, others have to wuickly adapt to the change ecosystem and develop their products accordingly. Either ways, customers and end-users will have loads of choice.

And you know how comfortable the consumers are with "loads of choices", right? Anyways here's the coverage. Take a look at the whitepaper too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...