Skip to main content

VMware: Europe better wake up fast!



Sure there are a lot of exciting things happening. Sure there is lots of stuff coming free. But look at this. You have to really be nuts to not having done this.

Administrators at Canada's largest media company, Quebecor Inc., can zip entire servers across the country in an hour.



Imagine the wonders it can do...
  • Time to deploy
  • Time to market
  • Time for a prolonged coffee break!
These firms were already evaluating and testing virtualization 2/3 years ago. All started off as a venture to test the environment.


Changing legacy-minded minds

When he first tried to pitch the idea of a virtual data center, Happychuk also had to deal with longstanding, field-hardened executives who wanted nothing to do with servers they could not physically touch. "Another argument was that they did not want all the eggs in one basket in a central location. People wanted to know what would happen if the host system failed," he said.


Tell me about it. Like an excited client told me that it was sophisticated. Hey, don't we need sophistication in this fast world? We need automation so we can move on to other unattended creative things. Anyways I will be starting a campaign to start talking about virtualization as a technology that we need. NOT because I think its cool but because its gonna make your life easier!

Anyways in another story:
This firm has saved $1 Million since last year. Read more here.


"When I came on board, H&R Block had heard about virtualization and was looking to do server consolidation because like a lot of companies, they had big server sprawl. About six years ago they only had 80 servers; now they’re up to 600 or 700 servers, so they were adding a hundred servers every year," Rosenkoetter said. With servers dedicated to single applications, many of the machines were underutilized, he said.


Try to identify yourself in this situation. you could be a SMB firm but when there is a demand and you suddenly need to add on a couple of server per month, you can or choose to smarten up OR dish out loads of cash. Your choice!

And here talking about tools, I fear that a lot of firms will mushroom up and demand loads of cash and probably hold customers at ransom. Good thing for VMware to watch and make solid and robust tools!


Cassatt's core software, Collage, has a starting price of $100,000 to control 40 servers, or about $2,500 each, said Jay Fry, the company's vice president of marketing. The XVM module costs an additional $1,250 per server.


Ok so this might sound VERY pricey but imagine if you have a consolidated scenario then we are looking at some 1000 (25 servers per box) odd services that you are servicing to your millions of customers!

Here a couple of pros and cons of Apple's bootcamp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here