Skip to main content

Facebook's Cloud Center consumes $1.5 Mn per Month on Electricity and Bandwidth!

This is the price you have to pay, or as some call it investing in the future. Facebook apparently is eating a million dollar a month on electricity bills and half million on bandwidth consumption. That is massive. I guess its time to host their stuff someplace else, maybe at Amazon AWS?

Lets hope the Dubai lords are also smitten by the social bug. Obviously the environmental discussion will follow soon when I write about the dangers of not just the effects on the economic meltdown but also the meltdown of the data centers as we keep uploading pictures of beers and bras (See Nick's post here) on Facebook. I sometimes really wonder how useful Facebook really is, talk about oversubscription. Let's not call electricity a bitch,we just have to get real. These are pragmatic times and money isn't coming easy this time.

This week, the TechCruncher has reported, Facebook chief financial officer Gideon Yu is in Dubai, "possibly" discussing fund raising options with Dubai International Capital, the private equity firm owned by the city's ruler - who also happens to be the Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates.

Sources told Arrington that Facebook is spending "well over" a million dollars a month in electricity alone and "likely" another $500,000 for bandwidth, as shameless social networkers post billions of photos and other solipsistic pixels. Recently, the company said that users upload two to three terabytes of photos each day. And every second, it serves as many as 300,000 pics the other way.

The word from TechCrunch is that Facebook has set aside $100m to buy 50,000 servers this year and next. And it's supposedly buying a $2m NetApp storage system each and every week.

All this should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, we wouldn't be surprised if mammoth electricity bills have Zuckerberg and Co. sidestepping a melting US economy for large money bags in the Middle East.
Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Linux, Linux : Get started with VMWare and Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD!

Well everyone's talking about it now and you're wondering "what the heck is Linux?". So you've finally come face to face with yourself and say it loudly(errum..In your head first , please). I want to learn it! I admit it, I've been a fool! I hafta learn this kool OS! OK chill! You're faced with a challenge of all that installation crap. And boy, ask the veterans they've made lot's of money just installing Linux and installing Oracle on Linux was a big thing. And talking about setting about clusters was only for Big Boys and doing Oracle RAC setup was only for BEEEG BOYZ!!! Ok I can see you're already sleeping on my story. And Hey! Stop drooling on my shoulder! Wake up!!! You yell back at me " WHAT DO I HAFTA DO? WHERE I GOTTA KLIK? I Don't wanna fight with my wife over installing Linux at home? And my Microsoft Boss is angry because I made my colleagues so scared when I installed Linux at work? Ok Ok I get it. You want to learn it'...