Skip to main content

VMware's future uncertain: Diane Greene replaced by ex-Microsoft Exec

My good pal, CEO of Virtualization.com just called me while I was driving back home after having a solid workout, that Diane Greene has been replaced by an ex-Microsoft exec! This news is shocking for:
- The great leadership that Diane offered to the company
- She had an amazing vision, OK CNN, Forbes et al have always spoken of the lack of business acumen
- She had a strong following of her solid engineering staff and I'm sure a lot will be reconsidering their future immediately
- A lot might change in the top exec ranks of VMware as well, for instance what will happen to Mendel etc


This is definitely a breaking news and still in a way a sad news. I am fond of Diane and her style and I'm sure she'll start a revolution someplace else soon enough.

Here's the link to Virtualization.com who picked it up from MarketWatch.

Reuters thinks that its mere competition and not weak economy:

"You have to believe this (change in revenue forecast) is due more to new competition than to macroeconomic issues," she said.

VMware, 86 percent-owned by storage equipment maker EMC Corp (EMC.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), is scheduled to report second-quarter results on July 22.

Its shares fell to an all-time low of $36.55 earlier in the session before recovering a little to $38.77, still down 27 percent. EMC shares fell 12 percent to $13.33.

The shares debuted on the New York Stock Exchange at $52 in August 2007, compared with their IPO price of $29. They reached a record high of $125.25 in October 2007.

Avastu's Real-Time Industry Analysis will come soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here