Skip to main content

Palomar Pomerado Health goes virtual with IBM



Its time to make the customers the heros! They go through a lot after listening to nusts like us all the time, so they deserve to also share some limelight when they go virtual.

PPH choose IBM's SAN virtualized storage.

Why did PPH go through this migration and embrace virtualized storage?

PPH knew it needed to go much further into digital hospital management. Paper-based file and record and booking systems just couldn't cope. It was going to add another hospital and move to fully digitised medical records for its patients. A $496 million bond issue had provided the finance for this.

It also wanted to introduce a new and customized computerized physician order entry (CPOE) program, a digital physician bedside care system, in 2009. To do that it needed a better IT infrastructure than the inflexible one it currently had. It needed a storage system which would allow it to migrate files from one storage array to another without shutting down major parts of its IT infrastructure.

Cerner Corporation, an IBM business partner and software supplier to PPH, suggested that it move to more powerful servers and add two tiers of storage alongside the ageing ESS array, and, in a crucial move, virtualise these three pieces of storage into one logical pool behind IBM's SVC. This would both increase the utilization of storage capacity and provide appropriate levels of storage service and cost to different types of data, and also enable files to be moved from one array to another, or from one storage tier to another, without interrupting users' and applications' storage service at all.



Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...