Skip to main content

VMware's founder Diane Greene interviewed

By The Guardian and CRN, not by me ;-)


CRN:


What are the types of companies VMware looks at in terms of being suitable for acquisitions?

Greene: Well, we look at technologies where there's an area we want to build, and there's some key technologies that might already be out there in a startup. So we acquire for that.

We've also acquired a company in Bulgaria that we've been outsourcing a lot of work to that has just incredibly talented engineers. So we just acquired the whole company for its engineering talent.

Or then there's the example of Dunes (Technologies), where it's process automation for virtualization. That was a solution that our customers wanted integrated in with our virtualization suite. So we bought the solution, because it had been built specifically for our virtualization suite.

The acquisitions have been going well, in terms of people come in and seem to really enjoy joining the company.

So building out the product suites is the major initiative. There are a lot of major releases over the next year that haven't been announced necessarily.

What are the most important things going forward in terms of VMware's direction?

Greene: Well, the hypervisor. We can add so much functionality, like new hardware functionality, security and resource management.


Guradian:

"So I was sitting at a table with a bunch of women from the media industry recently and they were asking 'so what do you do?'," says the 52-year old as she polishes off her morning coffee in an upmarket West End hotel. "And I tried 'we help people in the IT industry run their computers a lot more effectively and save them a lot of money', but that didn't work, they just asked, 'What do you mean, what do you do?' And so I mentioned 'virtualisation' and they said, 'Oh you mean like Second Life.'"

She gives me a look. "'No,' I said. 'What we do is basically plumbing but it is enormously valuable.'"

Just how valuable that "plumbing" is became obvious in August as VMware lived up to its moniker of "the new Google" because of its phenomenal growth and stock performance. By the time VMware's first set of results as a listed company were released back in October, the stock had tripled.


full inks: CRN and Guardian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here