Skip to main content

Microsoft and XenSource: Citrix is the catalytical sheen

XenSource, based on the open-source Xen software, bridges a gap between Microsoft and open-source software on virtualized servers. They're working together to be sure that Xen works well with Windows, yet Microsoft doesn't actually touch the open-source software, avoiding any cloudy licensing issues. That benefit would be lost if Microsoft buys Citrix.

Microsoft is also putting virtualization features similar to Xen's into its own products. Customers will then have a choice to use either Windows or Xen, since they're compatible.

Won't that snuff XenSource? Artale said no, because it will add features and stay ahead of Microsoft's offering. With an open-source development process and a smaller product, "we can release the product somewhat faster," he said. The trick is to work closely with Microsoft and provide extra value to its platform, he said.

Artale, 42, said it feels like the early days of Windows NT that precipitated a wave of startups and new enterprise technologies.

"There's a complete ecosystem of software that needs to appear around all of us in virtualization that have analogs to the physical world — things like monitoring software to tell you if a system is still healthy, backup, disaster recovery, high availability," he said.


Still you have IBM waiting for the ultimate big pounce, when the dust settles, for now, Microsoft is on its calculated track.

Read on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...