Skip to main content

Download OTRS Virtual Appliance today!

As promised. Its ready!



First very quickly why I like it:
  • Its Free!
  • Its used by several organizations I know myself
  • I personally think (and have experience with at least two major vendors) several (Trouble ticket/Incident Mgmt Systems) proprietary counterparts don't really do an excellent job and you pay through your nose!
I will be proposing this also as part of my ongoing "Open Source Enterprize" strategy, to deploy as a premium trouble ticket and incident management system (We will bake a Virtual Appliance on that too very soon!) for your open source enterprize! (z because z>s!)



Instructions to log in your OTRS trouble ticket system:
  1. Unzip the tar.gz file (NOTE: When you unzip the file, please look for a small 1KB file called fc4 and rename it to FC4.vmx, I don't know why that happens but I will RAR the appliance again and upload it)
  2. Discover this in your VMware Server, VMplayer or Workstation
  3. Start the machine and find the IP address of your machine by doing " ifconfig eth0". For computers who don't belong to an existing home or professional network please see the note* below.
  4. Go to your web browser and type this url http://youripaddress/otrs/index.pl, where myipaddress is your OTRS Virtual Appliances IP address.
  5. Login for the first time to the interface by typing username = root@localhost and password = root. See print screen below and there you are! Do please check the OTRS online manual as well!






NOTE:
IP address is via DHCP/ Bridged networking. Meaning, this virtual machine will go out and look for a DHCP server and try to attain an IP address. If your host computer does not belong to an existing network then please do the following while logged in as user "root" to assign a static IP address to your computer:
  • Open network configuration file
# vi /etc/network/interfaces
OR
$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces (Debian)

  • Find and if necessary remove dhcp entry :
iface eth0 inet dhcp

  • Append new network settings:

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254

  • Save and close the file. Restart the network:
# /etc/init.d/networking restart
OR
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart (Debian)

Note2:
Please do not feel shy to ask some computer nerd around you if you don't know how to fix the above mentioned IP issue ;-)

Enjoy your Virtual Appliance!

Tarry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...