Skip to main content

Will Oracle acquire Blackboard?



With all the application suite strengthening and Oracle posting a bold Q1 results (30%). Its time to look towards the Educational Institutions and Software.

Why?

No long stories, this is pretty simple. A lot of countries are laying deeper emphasis on education. All around the world. Not just US, Europe but just about everywhere. And there is enough market to capitalize. Yet. Oracle can be a very aggressive player and we all know it.

I browsed and saw this interesting post from Rob Reynolds. And this was in Jan 2005. Much before the Blackboard+WebCT merger. See for yourself what this mix-n-match has to say.

But yet again, we're just musing here, right? Right?


Here's some company and culture mergers that might be interesting to see in higher education this year (and please note -- I don't actually expect any of these to really happen):

1. BlackBoard and WebCT -- Wow, wouldn't this be interesting? The clash of cultures is pretty great here although recent surveys show that users view the companies' products as being pretty much the same and as having the same problems. In my book, this may be the only way for these two companies to survive. Unless, that is, Oracle decides to buy BlackBoard too.
2. University of Phoenix and Harvard -- To this I say, why not? The world's largest university and the world's most prestigious. For-profit and private. Talk about a clash of cultures. And think of the cash flow!
3. RedHat and Sakai -- Now we're getting a little more serious. This wouldn't be an actual company merger as RedHat would be to Sakai as it is to Linux -- distributor and provider of commercial services. But, as we've seen with the Linux community, there is a clash of cultures between commercial and open source, even when they are working towards similar goals.
4. Adobe and SafariX -- Finally, why don't we get our collective e-document acts together and have a really good open e-book platform that addresses the developing needs for portability and tight integration with other learning platforms? You probably can't get there from here, at least not with these two groups, but why not give it a try? You never can tell what you might get when you mix things together.



With Microsoft working pretty hard on their Sharepoint and secretly doing presentation in all current Blackboard shops. There will soon be time to look for a bigger umbrella. Read the complete mix-n-match post here.

Like a very good friend of mine says "Cross breeding is good for the genes!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here