Skip to main content

Virtualization round up: Its desktop this time!



Well the Server market is already in love with VMware. You will have to be downright ignorant if you were not deploying VMware's ESX Server in your Server environment. But hey what about the desktop?

Sure VMware has its VDI. So what is VDI?


VDI is a server-centric computing model that borrows from the traditional thin-client model but is designed to give administrators and end users the best of both worlds: the ability to host and centrally manage desktop virtual machines in the data center while giving end users a full PC desktop experience without limitations.


Again its going to be soon the huge mainframe and users with terminals. No hassles, no complaining, plain work!

Read here what VMware and Linux vendors are doing to combat the Vista's desktop offering.

So much so Shiloh Industries are deploying VDI as we speak!


Shiloh Industries is a full-service manufacturer of engineered steel products that serves the automobile and heavy trucking industry. With more than ten plants in the United States and one in Mexico, Shiloh wanted to consolidate its IT operations into a virtualized infrastructure for more efficient server management and more reliable data protection. The company was relying on direct-attached storage (DAS) to run more than 30 operating systems and applications including quoting, payroll and timekeeping. Shiloh required a new solution to control storage growth, reduce lengthy backup windows, eliminate tape proliferation and consolidate applications. In addition, Shiloh needed to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley data protection and retention requirements.

The need to increase storage capacity and implement a better data protection and DR solution for multiple locations forced Shiloh to migrate to virtual data center operations. The combination of EqualLogic and VMware provided an excellent solution for agile server deployment, high-performance data access and uncompromising reliability. Shiloh deployed two EqualLogic PS200E arrays at the primary data center in Mansfield, Ohio, a PS100E in the Michigan plant and a PS300E at the DR site in Brunswick, Ohio. With VMware, Shiloh is running all applications on 30 virtual servers centrally connected to the EqualLogic SAN.


Indeed DR and Security will be TOP ISSUES should companies start with the desktop virtualization. While Tucci promised that security will be top on the list and said:

“I personally believe that in the next three years, virtually all hardware products will be virtualized. Virtualization is game-changing,” he said. “VMware ... is one of the fastest-growing software companies ever.


I couldn't help smile (and agree) to what Dr. Andrew Tanenbaum said about Hardware.(That it is was nothing but solidified software). Well VMware , their star performer, is smart enough to realize that alliances and collaboration is the way to go.

In other news IBM goes for Server X factor. I'm sure there will be someone who try some other stunt as well. The only ship , I see on a steady course so far is EMC with VMware. It's not on a rampage, its doing exactly what it should be doing:

  • Collaborating
  • Forming strategic alliances
  • Staying open
  • Staying committed
  • Putting the problem (challenge) before anything else (and thus winning the hearts of all customers)
  • Clearly behaving and also deciding the fate of virtualization for the masses (as well as the competitors) like a true market leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Security: VMware Workstation 6 vulnerability

vulnerable software: VMware Workstation 6.0 for Windows, possible some other VMware products as well type of vulnerability: DoS, potential privilege escalation I found a vulnerability in VMware Workstation 6.0 which allows an unprivileged user in the host OS to crash the system and potentially run arbitrary code with kernel privileges. The issue is in the vmstor-60 driver, which is supposed to mount VMware images within the host OS. When sending the IOCTL code FsSetVoleInformation with subcode FsSetFileInformation with a large buffer and underreporting its size to at max 1024 bytes, it will underrun and potentially execute arbitrary code. Security focus

Our frozen chi's and the Workfloor

I left home when I was 20. I had studied Physics(Major) and had no idea what to do next. I took to the seas, I think looking back it was more like a refuge, an asylum. Seeking to get away from all that peer pressure, myself and what not. 1991 June 7, around midnight I arrive in Lagos, Nigeria. Company agent ships me to the nearby hotel to wait for my first “boat”. That's the first time in my life I saw a lot of people , a race totally different from ours. I was warned to be careful, protect my wallet, but they came across as just about any other regular folk. That was my “first encounter”. Funny, since then I have worked with all kinds of nationalities (Japanese, Chinese, Malaysians, Indonesians, Dutch, Scandinavians, Thai, Americans, Spanish, Argentinians,..I can go on and on). What I have learned in all that is that we are all so much alike. But on board a ship it is “ really ” different. Your job is crucial and you must work together. That makes you accept each other realistica...

A Collection of Threnodies : Part 1

Whale Fall ----------------- Dress me up in my new threads clasp my greasy palms grease my hair I'm ready for the fall Watch at all the decadence watching the avalanche I'm slipping down losing my buoyancy What's become of us where have we come this far, this close close to the doors I hear them, sublimal chants I'm on the run I race through the human sea I am the king! I'm the slave to my own undoings I'm the jester in my courtyard We jest as we run We're strolling on that thin rope we grope as we rope we're true heros we're the survivors we're the scavengers we're the friends we're the lovers we're the unbred Soon awaiting the fall we're lurking on us we're osedaxing us we're soon going to be done we'll soon be arrested *osedax(bone devourer, newly discovered marine genus) feeds on a fallen(sunken) whale carcass(which is also called a whale fall). Read more here