Oracle today announced Oracle® VM, server virtualization software which supports both Oracle and non-Oracle applications. Oracle VM offers scalable, low-cost server virtualization that is up to three times more efficient than existing products from other vendors. Key Oracle products including Oracle Database, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Applications are certified with Oracle VM. Backed by Oracle's world-class support organization, customers have a single point of support for their entire virtualization environments, including Linux operating system and Oracle products.
Consisting of open source server software and an integrated Web browser-based management console, Oracle VM provides an easy-to-use, rich, graphical interface for creating and managing virtual server pools, running on x86 and x86-64-based systems, across an enterprise. Oracle VM offers:
* Simplified Installation -- with single install, patching and upgrading for both Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Linux;
* Faster Deployment -- through pre-configured Virtual Machine images of Oracle Database and Oracle Enterprise Linux;
* Greater Efficiencies -- three times more efficient than other server virtualization products;
* Linux and Windows Support -- support for Linux and Windows guest operating systems including: Oracle Enterprise Linux 4 and 5; RHEL3, RHEL4 and RHEL5; Windows 2003, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (on HV capable hardware);
* Single Source of Support -- backed by Oracle�s world-class support organization, customers have a single point of contact for their entire virtual environments, including the Linux operating system, and Oracle Database, Fusion Middleware and Application software.
* Low Total Cost of Ownership -- enables customers to deploy server virtualization for a fraction of the cost when compared to other vendor products.
Oracle applications, middleware and database software currently certified with Oracle VM includes:
Oracle Database 10.2.0.3 and 11.1
* Oracle Application Server 10gR2 and 10gR3
* Oracle Enterprise Manager 10.2.0.4
* Oracle TimesTen 184.108.40.206
* Oracle Berkeley DB 4.6
* Oracle E-Business Suite 11.5.10 and 12
* Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise 9.0
* PeopleTools 8.49.07 and above
* Oracle's Siebel CRM 8
* Oracle's Hyperion 9.3.1
Oracle VM extends Oracle's support for grid computing by providing the ability to virtualize within as well as across servers. Oracle's grid computing-based solutions together with Oracle VM are capable of virtualizing all infrastructure resources, as a well as data and applications, providing a complete virtualization solution for the data center and creating a cost effective, efficient and agile IT environment.
"Customers can now optimize resource consolidation by deploying Oracle VM with Oracle Unbreakable Linux, and run the full Oracle software stack -- Oracle Database, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Enterprise Manager and Oracle Applications -- all with one worldwide support call," said Oracle's Chief Corporate Architect, Edward Screven. "With Oracle VM, customers can respond more rapidly to business changes, increase ROI and reduce lifetime total cost of ownership. Oracle VM brings enterprise-class support and backing to server virtualization, giving customers the confidence to deploy virtualized solutions."
See the press release
and don't forget to download the Xen Oracle VM from 14th November onwards at http://www.oracle.com/virtualization